Sadly, this is not about that great The Smiths song, it’s about something we don’t talk about enough in society: Computer Illiteracy in the Third Age.
More than ever, the elderly (people over the age of 48) are turning to their computer machines to use applications such as the ASK toolbar, Yahoo as a search engine, and to unwittingly download the full version of AVG because it offers full protection from hackers, who are young men who wear hoodies and gloves while hacking in the dark while no-one else is looking.
Print this out and give it to someone you love, someone who is wrestling with the Internet. I’ll increase the font to the largest that this here WordPress will allow.
1. Check you aren’t just writing a private message to a family member in your own status bar
2. Stop fucking installing the ASK toolbar. Once you have it, you can never get rid of it. Well, you can but I’ll have to do it next time I’m over
3. You can take a screenshot of your screen without using your phone
4. You do not need to switch the entire computer off every time you have finished using it
5. When Microsoft ring to talk about the breach of security on your computer, remember you have an “iPad” which is from a different company. But ffs don’t tell them this. It’s ok to not have a long conversation with someone who is scamming you. They won’t think you are not being polite. The Bridge group will not find out
6. Yahoo is now sponsored by Rich Dad. I know you like this idea but everything you type into the search area will lead you to Rich Dad
7. You can watch a YouTube clip of Nigel Kennedy for free, with the notes he’s playing at the bottom of the screen while you have a New World Graham Norton sav
8. I’ll do a full virus scan of your computer next time I’m around
9. I see you have put some favourites on your toolbar. I did not know you knew how to do that. I see you have Quotable Value, your local council and EzyBuy there
10. How come your printer is there? Next to the John Grisham novels? That poinsettia is doing well though even though it was moved. It seems that you might need to go to refill your ink cartridges quite soon, also
OMG this was exhausting to write. Next time on The Sane Companion: Existentialism: Fad or Something to really think about?